1 June 2011

Royal China @ Raffles Hotel

Royal China used to be one of my favourite dim sum place until the makeover a couple of years ago.

I know the sky blue decor is supposed to look classy, but seriously sky blue for a chinese restaurant?

But anyway, since Royal China is relatively in close vicinity to my office, I decided to give it another go. And I am glad I make the trip, for the quality of the food at least.



We ordered a couple of staple dim sum and I pretty much enjoy the consistency of the dishes and the variety offered.

The Har Kaw (Shrimp dumpling) is wrapped is a thin layer of crystal like skin with each dumpling offering a generous amount of fresh, coarsely chopped shrimps.



(And please ignore the blurry photos...am still trying my best to figure out how to operate my new camera and the very silly focal point)

Next up was the deep fried beancurd roll with shrimps. Again, this was served with a generous amount of shrimp instead of minced pork as used by some other dim sum outlets.



The seafood porridge with bits and pieces of scallop, sliced fish and prawn is definitely the comfort food of the (rainy) day.



Maybe I was half expecting these to resemble their salted egg yoke custard bun counterparts, these salted egg yoke custard layer cake was quite mild in flavour and taste.



We also ordered the glutinous lotus rice and seafood dumpling which don't quite make it on the photos.

All in all, lunch for two sums up to a reasonable $40+ taking into consideration the quality of its food. It's just a pity that service was tardy quite an almost half filled restaurant.

No comments: