16 March 2008

Lei Garden - Chijmes

(I almost completed my entry when I foolishly clicked on the exit button before saving the post so I guess with it being almost 6 in the morning and me not having a single wink as yet this shall be a short entry of my dim sum lunch at Lei Garden.)
Steamed prawn dumpling (Har Kau) has always been a staple during dim sum and with the crystalline outer layer of nicely done skin wrapped with fresh marinated prawn, this is easily the best dish of the meal.



Xiao Long Bao.



The deep fried shrimp roll with beancurd skin and avocado with prawn wrap were however not too impressive especially with oil still dripping onto my plate when served.





The lobster porridge was light and smooth with robust stock and bite size pieces of lobster.



The alaska crab claw was a recommendation by the captain which was coated with flour and deep fried, served drenched with thai sweet chilli over a piece of carrot cake and asparagus. Notice the word 'drenched'? Sadly, the thai sweet chilli was a tad too sweet for my personal liking and with the crab meat already fried and served with the sauce, there was no natural sweetness of the meat since the sauce overpowered any remaining flavour it should have.



Lastly, there's egg tarts baked with soft fluffy crust with the not too sweet custard served warm and durian pudding, both of which I find very delicious.





Generally, the immaculate service is a big pulling point. Tea was constantly being refilled, chair was pulled and napkin positioned on the lap, at the end of the meal a waiting staff walked us to the main door and a call was made to us 2 hours before the reservation asking if we wanted to pre-order any dishes in the event they sell out early. I will just make a mental note to avoid the deep fried dim sum...


Lei Garden Restaurant (Chijmes)
#01-24 Chijmes
40 Victoria Street
Singapore 187996
Tel: 6339 3822

No comments: