8 March 2008

La Boquería - Barcelona

The Boqueria Market is a great place to visit in Barcelona with a wide array of stalls from fresh meat to the colourful fruits and vegetables. It's a simple pleasure just to walk around and enjoy the sight, sound and smell of this bustling market place.



The interesting part about visiting markets in Europe is that you can experience a face to face encounter with freshly slaughtered animals rather than the processed meat we see in the supermarkets...the piles of the numerous types of seafood on ice...the almost perfect looking fruits and vegetables proudly on display and the irresistible smell of bread products hot from the oven...

Personally I found certain pictures to be quite disturbing...

The pigs on display as if they are smiling at the camera...



Rabbit meat is a delicacy in many parts of Europe and rabbit stew in itself is a popular item during winter season. I have rabbits as pets and so I find it difficult to be near the freshly dead rabbits with blood still dripping from their bodies.



We have curry fish head and perhaps the Spainsh...lamb heads (good for stews as well or so I heard)



Some inner organs of lamb



As for this, I have absolutely no idea what it is (anyone any idea?) but it makes my hair stand just looking at it! Judging at the price it is not cheap either!



At last some pleasant pictures...the fruits on sale...



The sweet smell of baked bread...



Gelattos and sobert



And lastly, some preserved plums and fruits...



The adventure that a supermarket can never match up to...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms Neo,

It's me Alvin. I think the photo of the unidentifiable foodstuff is a geoduck. It's a mussle or clam-like thingy. It's a delicacy. They make excellent sashimi. I have eaten the sashimi version in Vancouver. It's excellent. See : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raCUc5A6FHU

J.Peg Family said...

Hi Alvin! Thanks for the enlightenment...no wonder people say looks are deceiving!

Deivit Tustei said...

The thing you don't knew what it was were "percebes". Delightful seafood from Galicia. Next time, taste them, they're delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hola Ms Neo, Deivit Tustei is correct. It's not geoduck but percebes.
I have been to Barcelona twice. Absolutely beautiful place. Between, I live in Spain.

Tried to post my comment under Blogger but unable to get through.

Hungrybear

J.Peg Family said...

Thanks all for the comments...very much appreciated and I'll definitely muster some courage to try it if I am in Spain again...cheers!